Mir H. Ali, MD, PhD
Board Certified Orthopedic Spine Surgeon
Dr. Ali is a Board Certified Orthopedic Spine Surgeon who specializes in conservative, non-surgical and surgical treatment of neck and back disorders. Dr. Ali completed his PhD in Cellular and Molecular Pathology in 2002, and then graduated from medical school with highest honors in 2004. Dr. Ali completed his residency training in orthopedic surgery at the world renown Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN in 2009 and fellowship training in spine surgery at Rush University Medical Center in 2010. Dr. Ali joined Rezin Orthopedics and Sports Medicine in 2013 and created the Deerpath Spine Institute.
Dr. Ali is known in the medical community for his precise examination skills, attentive ears, and his vigorous belief in patient education. He is also known as a conservative surgeon who believes in surgery as the very last option and only believes in as little surgery as necessary to address the patient's condition.
Dr. Ali's philosophy is spending adequate time with each patient, explaining his/her condition in terms he/she can understand, discussing treatment options together in a team-oriented manner and recommending surgery only when all other options have failed.
In his free time, Dr Ali enjoys spending time with his wife and six children, reading and bicycling. Dr. Ali sees patients at the Morris, Ottawa, Joliet and Bolingbrook offices of Rezin Orthopedics and Sports Medicine.
Click here for more information about Dr. Mir H. Ali.
Orthopedic Spine Surgeon – Deerpath Spine Institute / Rezin Orthopedics & Sports Medicine
- 7/1/2013 – present
- Director, Deerpath Spine Institute
- Specializing in conservative and surgical treatment of back and neck disorders
- General Orthopedic Surgery Emergencies
- Outpatient Clinic Locations:
- Morris, IL
- Ottawa, IL
- Joliet, IL
Attending Orthopaedic Spine Surgeon
- Privileges pending/in progress
- Morris Hospital, Morris, IL
- OSF – St. Elizabeth Medical Center, Ottawa, IL
- Presence St. Joseph’s Medical Center, Joliet, IL
- Deerpath Orthopedic Surgery Center, Morris, IL
Rush University Medical Center –Midwest Orthopedics
- Fellowship training in Spine Surgery –Completed July 2010
- Rush University Medical Center/Midwest Orthopedics at Rush
- Program Director: Howard S. An, M.D.
- Program Co-Director: Frank S. Phillips, M.D.
- -Illinois State License:036.122446
- Residency training in Orthopedic Surgery –Completed June 2009
- Mayo Clinic College of Medicine –School of Graduate Medical Education
- Residency Program Director: Arlen D. Hanssen, M.D.
- Residency Advisor: Mark W. Pagnano, M.D.
- Department Chair:Daniel J. Berry, M.D.
- Board Eligible 9/2009; Board Certified: 7/2012; Expiration 12/2022
- Successfully passed Part IIof ABOS Certification Exam 7/2012
- USMLE Scores: Step 3 = 227/942007 OITE Score: 87thpercentile
- Minnesota State License #47601–Expired 2011
- Basic Life Support/Advanced Cardiac Life Support/Pediatric Advanced Life Support/Advanced Trauma Life SupportCertifications
- AAOS Clinician Scientist Development Program 2008
- AOA/Zimmer Orthopaedic Resident Leadership Forum 2008
- American Medical Association/Minnesota Medical Association
The University of Chicago
M.D. June 2004 –Pritzker School of Medicine
Ph.D. June 2002 –BSD / Department of Pathology
Lab: Paul Schumacker, Ph.D. Dept. of Medicine –Pulmonary & Critical Care Thesis Title: Endothelial Responses to Environmental Stimuli: the Role of Mitochondrial Reactive Oxygen Species in Response to Mechanical Strain and Hypoxia
USMLE Scores: Step 1 = 259/99Step 2 = 246/99
- Graduated with Honors
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- John Van Prohaska Award for outstanding potential in teaching, research, and clinical medicine
- Association of Academic Surgery Student Research Award, for outstanding performance in research in the general field of surgery
- Senior Scientific Research Symposium Participant
- General Surgery Club MD/PhD Students’ Advisory Committee
- Physicians for Social Responsibility
- American College of Physicians
- American Society of Internal Medicine
- American Medical Student Association
- American Medical Association
- Medical Student Section
- Illinois State Medical Society & Chicago Medical Society
- American College of Surgeons
- Student member
The University of Chicago
B.A. June 1996 -Biological Sciences with Honors
Grade Point Average:3.96 / 4.00Science GPA: 3.97 / 4.00
- Phi Beta Kappa (Illinois Chapter) in Junior Year of College
- Student Marshal at The University of Chicago